I know I’ve only been an intern for a little over a month, but I’ve had the opportunity to read eight manuscripts. Out of that number, my agent has offered representation to only one of the authors. All of the rest have been rejected. I thought I would provide insight as to the most common reasons the manuscript’s where rejected.
5. There isn’t enough meat to the story/adventure/journey.
4. The supporting characters are too flat, one-dimensional. Their only purpose in the story is to help the main character.
3. The premise isn’t engaging enough to keep the reader’s attention.
2. The narrative voice isn’t there, leaving the story lifeless, which makes the story all action and no emotion.
And the most common reason is:
1. The pacing is too slow. This applies to all genres, not just thrillers.